Sunday, April 5, 2009

Speech

Below is the speech that I gave at the April 3rd National Membership meeting.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Good afternoon!  My name is Jess W. Speaker, III and I am proud to be a Liaison from Washington, DC wanting to be part of the next generation of leaders in Actors’ Equity.  

Like you, becoming a member of Actors’ Equity has always been one of the proudest moments in my career.  Why?  Being a member of Equity means more than health care and pension; it is what validates us as professionals in this industry.  It DOES help us to achieve benefits that allow us a livelihood in our business but it also provides protection for its members. 

I want to make sure that all Equity members feel that their Union is behind them and protecting them.  Our industry is constantly changing due to economic, political and cultural factors that pose new challenges to the survival of live theatre.  We are continuing to face great changes in our industry as we enter an economic climate unlike any most of us have ever seen.  If elected to Council, I will make it my priority to keep our union focused on the most important issues we face in these uncertain times:
  • We need to maintain safe working conditions under all contracts so our members can focus their energies on their craft
  •  We have to find ways to increase the number of workweeks available to the membership by organizing and continuing our work to reclaim the road.
  •  We will continue to advocate for a higher quality of life through better salaries and health care

We have met many challenges in the past years.  Equity is making great strides in the fights for better health care and improved working conditions on the road, in the regions and across all contracts.  We have achieved great things but we must continue our work. 

I am passionate about Equity.  I am passionate about the future of our Union and meeting the needs of the membership on a national and regional level.  I believe in what being a proud member of Equity means.  We believe that we are skilled in our craft, our art, and that we deserve protection and support from our Union.  Let me work for you to improve our Union.  Let me be your voice in Council.

No comments:

Post a Comment