Saturday, April 4, 2009

AEA News Statement

Jess W. Speaker, III

Residence: Washington, DC

Contracts Worked: Production, LORT, CORST, COST, SPT, TYA, URTA, Guest Artist, LOA, Special Appearance

Committees: Stage Managers, LORT, Stock, Developing Theatres, TYA, EPA; Co-Chair of the DC Liaison Committee; 2008 COST and Ogunquit negotiation teams

Becoming a member of Actors’ Equity has always been one of the proudest moments in my career.  Not only did it validate me as a professional in our industry, but it provided me a way to achieve benefits that allow us a livelihood in our business.  Healthcare, pension and workplace protection are things that must not be taken for granted.  We must be flexible enough to survive in this economic downturn but not give up the basic needs that are vital to working in the theatre.

As an Equity member living and working outside an office city, I feel that it’s critical to have Councillors working throughout the country.  Regional representation helps unite our members and gives a stronger voice to those outside office cities.  I want to be a voice for our regional Equity communities.

I want to make sure that all Equity members feel that their Union is behind them and protecting them.  If elected to Council, I will make it my priority to keep our union focused on the most important issues we face in these uncertain times: maintaining safe working conditions under all contracts so our members can focus their energies on their craft, increasing the number of workweeks available to the membership, while advocating for a higher quality of life through better salaries and healthcare.

Let me work for you and our Union

No comments:

Post a Comment